Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Next Steps

Learn More

The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) offers:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has an overview of the federal SNAP program. Note: The SNAP program in Illinois uses options and waivers that make it different in some ways than the federal SNAP rules.

Ticket to Work

Social Security’s Ticket to Work Program helps people with disabilities who get Social Security benefits re-enter the workforce and become more independent. The Ticket to Work Program offers free access to employment-related services, such as training, transportation, and vocational rehabilitation. You can call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY).

Get Help with Your Benefits

A trained benefits expert can help you understand your benefits programs. Exactly who you need to contact depends on your situation and the benefits you get.

View DB101's full list of experts who can help you understand different benefits.

Apply for SNAP

You can apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP):

The ABE website answers frequently asked questions, such as what information you'll need to fill out an application. If you have really low (or no) income and really low (or no) cash on hand and you need help fast, you can ask to get Emergency SNAP Benefits (also called Expedited Benefits) in five days or less. Ask your local DHS Family Community Resource Center about how to apply for the Emergency SNAP program.

Places to Spend SNAP

  • Call or visit your local businesses to see if they take SNAP benefits. If a store has the “Illinois Link” sign in the window, you can use your benefits on food and other items approved by SNAP.
  • Visit a farmers market that accepts the Illinois Link Card.
  • The SNAP Restaurant Meals Program (RMP) lets you use your Link card at some restaurants in specific zip codes if you are:
    • Blind or have a disability (or the spouse of someone who is blind or has a disability)
    • 60 or older (or the spouse of someone 60 or older), or
    • Experiencing homelessness.

Learn more about how to use your SNAP.

Get Expert Help

If you need help applying for SNAP or have questions about your benefits:

Learn more