Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)


You can apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP):

The ABE website answers frequently asked questions, such as what information you'll need to fill out an application.

No matter which way you apply, you can use this same application to also apply for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, cash assistance, and other benefits programs.

Getting Emergency Benefits

If you need help fast and have really low (or no) income and really low (or no) cash on hand, you can ask to get Emergency SNAP Benefits (also called Expedited Benefits) in five days or less. Ask your local DHS Family Community Resource Center about how to apply for the Emergency Benefits program. Learn more about Emergency SNAP benefits.

When you apply for SNAP, you may need to provide proof of:

  • Your citizenship status
  • Where you live
  • Social Security numbers for everyone on your application
  • Your disability
  • Your income
  • Your resources
  • Your medical expenses, and
  • Housing or shelter costs.

After submitting an application for SNAP, you will get a notice to schedule an interview within 14 days (two weeks) of submitting an application. If approved, your benefits start within 30 days. If you qualify for expedited/emergency benefits you will be interviewed that day or the next day, and if you are approved, your benefits start within five days.

During your eligibility interview, the caseworker asks questions about your household situation to figure out if you qualify for benefits, and makes sure that they have all the required information and documents.

After your interview, SNAP sends you a letter saying whether your application is approved or denied. If you are approved, the letter tells you the amount of monthly SNAP benefits you will receive.

Learn more about who can get SNAP and how SNAP benefits are calculated.


If your application is denied or you do not agree with a decision that was made, you can contact your DHS Family Community Resource Center. They might just need more information from you. If you cannot resolve the issue, you can file an appeal with the Illinois Department of Human Services.

Learn more