Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Next Steps

Learn More

The Illinois Department of Human Services has an overview of TANF benefits, services, and resources.

The TANF Crisis Assistance program may get you help more quickly if you have little, or no, income and resources, and need immediate assistance.

If you have children younger than 13, the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) might help with some of the cost of child care.

The TANF Job Placement services program offers training and support if you get TANF benefits and are unemployed or underemployed.

Ticket to Work

Social Security’s Ticket to Work Program helps people with disabilities who get Social Security benefits re-enter the workforce and become more independent. The Ticket to Work Program offers free access to employment-related services, such as training, transportation, and vocational rehabilitation. You can call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY).

Get Help with Your Benefits

A trained benefits expert can help you understand your benefits programs. Exactly who you need to contact depends on your situation and the benefits you get.

View DB101's full list of experts who can help you understand different benefits.

Apply for TANF

You can apply for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF):

No matter which way you apply, you can choose to use this same application to also apply for TANF, SNAP (formerly Food Stamps), Medicaid, and other benefits programs. If you need help deciding how to apply, call the Illinois Department of Human Services Help Line at 1-800-843-6154.

Learn more